Best Top 20 Free Open Source VPN (Benefits). VPN is about having more security on your laptop or mobile when using public Wi-Fi. If you want to keep your personal data private and protect your computer or mobile phone from the prying eyes of hackers then this review is great for you.
What is VPN
A virtual private network, (VPN) gives you online privacy and anonymity. It creates a private network from a public internet connection. VPN then masks your internet protocol (IP) address so your online actions are not traceable. VPN establishes secure and encrypted connection for greater privacy, even better than a secured Wi-Fi hotspot.
Best Top 20 Free Open Source VPN
It works in any configuration including remote access, site to site VPNs, Wi-Fi security and enterprise scale access solutions. It has features like load balancing, failover and access controls. It can tunnel IP sub-networks or virtual Ethernet adapters. Open VPN benefits are: Supports perfect forward secrecy, has firewall compatibility and Better Security (256-bit encryption keys ).
OpenVPN is free to use as long as software license agreements are met.
2. Libreswan VPN
It comes as a ready to use package on Red Hat Linux distributions and is compatible with FreeBSD OS and iOS, and Linux 2.4 – 4.x.
3. SoftEther VPN
- Virtual Firewall (prevent things like malware and spyware and unauthorized connections).
- Dynamic Server is flexibility to set up or have it in a cloud (virtualization).
- Private Connection Network.
- BYOD (bring your own device) where this VPN’s security and firewall systems makes it perfectly safe to work remotely, or bring your own devices into work with you.
- SoftEther supports NAT traversal, meaning it helps to run VPN servers on computers that are behind personal gateways, corporate routers, and firewalls.
- this VPN uses HTTPS to camouflage connections making firewalls unable to perform deep packet inspections to detect packets that are passing through the VPN’s tunnel.
- It also offers remote access and control lists
4. Openswan VPN
Openswan VPN is an open source VPN. It is an IPsec integration for Linux and supports most of the extensions (RFC + IETF drafts) related to IPsec – including IKEv2, X.509 Digital Certificates, and NAT Traversal.
5. Freelan VPN
- creation of local networks
- multi platform
- port forwarding,
- supports back end DNS,
- IPv6 support,
- high security with opportunity to choose 128- or 256-bit encryption keys.
Freelan is available for most major operating systems like Windows, Linux (and most of its flavors), and runs on Mac OSX (starting with OSX Lion).
- support of IPv6 IPsec tunnel and transport connections.
- It also offers plugins that further enhance its functionality.
- Users can choose among three crypto libraries.
- Uses IPsec for data traffic.
- supports EAP authentication
- It offers automatic insertion and deletion of IPsec-policy-based firewall rules.
7. Tinc VPN
- automatic full mesh routing – where traffic is always (if possible) sent directly to the destination, without going through intermediate hops.
- It easily extends resident VPNs with the simple addition of a configuration file and nothing more.
- Encryption and authentication.
- NAT traversal.
- Can bridge ethernet segments.
OpenConnect is not officially supported by, or associated in any way with, Cisco Systems, Juniper Networks, Pulse Secure, Palo Alto Networks, F5, or Fortinet, or any of the companies whose protocols it supports – but, it does integrate and operate well with their equipment.
- cross platform
- multi protocol SSL VPN client supports their protocols including Cisco AnyConnect, Array Networks AG SSL VPN, Juniper SSL VPN, Pulse Connect Secure, Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect SSL VPN, F5 Big-IP SSL VPN, and Fortinet Fortigate SSL VPN.
9. Shrew Soft VPN
Shrew Soft’s VPN Client is a free IPSEC client for Windows and Linux machines. The software offers Virtual Private Network access to organizations to protect their data, applications, and entire network from external threats.
Shrew Soft features
- easy to install and configure
- supports a wide variety of vendors.
- a versatile tool connects to many existing VPN servers like those from the big giants such as Cisco or Juniper.
- IPsec remote access VPN
- Open source gateways
- The browsing is much safer.
Tcpcrypt does work on open source SSL VPN client.
- compatibility with NATs and also with DSL router.
Tcpcrypt abstracts away authentication, allowing any mechanism to be used. It can be deployed in stages and has a mechanism for probing support and, failing which, falling back to standard, clear-text TCP.
11. VPN Gate
VPN Gate Academic Experiment Project is an online service provided as an academic research at the Graduate School of the University of Tsukuba, Japan. The purpose of the research is to expand the knowledge of “Global Distributed Public VPN Relay Servers.”
VPN Gate features
Pritunl VPN features
Tunnelblick comes as a ready-to-use application with all necessary binaries and drivers (including OpenVPN, easy-rsa, and tun/tap drivers). No additional installation is necessary – except for adding OpenVPN configuration and encryption information. A kill switch feature ensures real IP addresses are not exposed in case the VPN fails.
14. Orbot VPN
Next on the list of Best Top 20 Free Open Source VPN (Benefits) is Orbot. It can exclusively be used for Android devices it can also be run on Windows 10 PCs using emulators.
- TOR to encrypt all of the user’s traffic by bouncing it through computers across the globe.
- Defends you against network surveillance.
- Orbot also has a built in VPN feature which helps you bypass firewalls.
Orbot brings Tor functionality to Android devices. It lets users connect to the Internet in a secure, private manner using the best features of both proxy servers and VPNs. It encrypts data for total anonymity and keeps mobile communication private while online.
It keeps browsing data private as it doesn’t log user activity or share data with third parties. Its VPN Accelerator is a set of technologies that are unique to the product and that can increase VPN speeds by over 400 percent – over hundreds of secure servers across the globe.
WireGuard is a simple, yet extremely fast, VPN solution that leverages advanced cryptography technologies like the Noise protocol framework, Curve25519, ChaCha20, Poly1305, BLAKE2, SipHash24, HKDF, and secure trusted constructions.
Another choice on the list for Best Top 20 Free Open Source VPN (Benefits) is Hamachi . It is a hosted VPN service that secures extended LAN-like networks to distributed teams and remote or mobile workers. It can be run in the background on networked computers to allow round the clock access – even when they are unattended.
It provides remote users with secure access to connect to private networks or LANs from a centralized LogMeIn Hamachi gateway, without the need for configuring firewalls or routers.
18. Algo VPN
- a collection of scripts that lets users quickly deploy personal VPNs without any technical know how required.
- users can deploy WireGuard or IKEv2/IPSEC-based private networks on their rented VPS at no extra cost.
- can also set up a limited number of SSH users if tunneling traffic is required,
- the VPN also blocks ads using local DNS resolvers.
- KEv2 VPN tunneling and an IPsec-based VPN solution
- it supports AES-GCM, SHA2 HMAC, and P-256
- HTTP Proxy and local DNS resolver to effectively block ads
19. iPIG VPN
Another of Best Top 20 Free Open Source VPN (Benefits) is iPIG VPN. It can be installed in under a minute. It secures all users’ data and personal information. It is free for Windows – with it being compatible with Windows 2000, XP, 2003, and open source SSL VPN client – and secures both in- and outbound connections.
iPIG VPN features
Psiphon is a free open source software solution. It allows users to send and receive data through a secure network while also disguising the type of traffic being transmitted and even where it is coming from.
The numerous secure protocols used by the VPN all appear different to censors, making it difficult to differentiate between Psiphon traffic and other types of Internet use. But, even if one traffic type is filtered on a network, this tool can connect through alternate protocols.
The best top 20 free open source VPN
Well, there you have it. We have listed the best top 20 free open source VPNs that you can use on your device and network. We hope the list is helpful and advise you to always seek the advice of professionals before setting up any security features.