How to Install MySQL Server on Windows 10. MySQL server offers a database management system to perform database-related activities. It works as a client and server system. In this article, we will discuss how to install a MySQL server on a Windows operating system.
What is MySQL Server?
MySQL is a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) that stores and presents data in in rows and columns. MySQL server offers unmatched scalability and high performance due to storage engine framework. it is highly available as MySQL is compatible with most of the operating systems ( Windows, Linux and other). MySQL offers a client server architecture and is scalable (can handle more than 50 million rows).
Download MySQL database server
This tutorial of how to install MySQL ON Windows 10 starts with downloading database server. Perform double click on the installer once it is fully downloaded. It will then start the installation process.
Install MySQL database server
Once the installation process is started, you can see that there are four installation options listed.
- Developer default: This is the option that you should select if you need to install the component that is required to create a development environment. It will install the components such as MySQL, MySQL Server, MySQL Connectors, MySQL Shell, and MySQL Workbench that are usually required for application development.
2. Server Only: This option will let you install only the MySQL server with the standalone database server-specific components, but not other MySQL tools.
Client Only: This option will let you install the tools required for MySQL application development, excluding MySQL Server. It is useful if your target development is for an existing server.
3. Full: This option allows you to install MySQL Server with all the other components of it.
4. Custom: You can use this option if you want to select the MySQL tools that you need to install and if they are not covered in any of the above options.
The next section of how to Install MySQL Server on Windows 10, we will discuss how to install the full version (option 3). So choose “Full” from the above options list and click next.
1. You will be directed to a window as shown below. It means that the installer checks the prerequisites that need to be installed in the MySQL components. You can find the details of the missing requirements from the “Check Requirements” dialogue box. It has the details of the product name, requirement, and status. You can click on execute to install the missing requirements.
2. Click on the requirement and then on the “check” button to see if it is still failing or installed properly.
3. The installer will give you a warning if you are going to proceed with the installation without installing all the requirements. So it is recommended to proceed with the installation only after you have completed installing all the dependencies.
4. Once you proceed, it will show you a list of MySQL components that are ready to install. You can click on the “execute” button to start installing them. Their statuses will be updated as they complete installation.
5. It will take a few minutes to completely install the list of the packages. Once all are installed we are ready to go to the next step. So click on “next”.
7. Next screen is the High availability screen with two options. Either install the InnoDB cluster or Standalone MySQL Server.
8. InnoDB Cluster is the high availability solution for MySQL. It has single and multi master capabilities along with failover detection. Group replication is used to facilitate availability.
We will install the standalone version in this article. You can configure classic replication and even your own high availability as needed.
9. Next is the Type and Networking screen.
The type of MySQL configuration has a list of predefined configurations. There are three configurations as the following.
- Development Computer: This configuration uses the minimum amount of memory for MySQL.
- Server Computer: This configuration uses a medium amount of memory for MySQL services. It is recommended if you are planning to install database servers and web servers on the same computer.
- Dedicated Computer: This option is recommended if the machine is only being used to host the dedicated MySQL Server, and not any other servers/ services. This configuration allocates a higher amount of resources and memory for MySQL Services.
10. We will proceed with minimum memory usage. Hence, we will select “Development computer” from the drop-down box.
11. Next we configure the connectivity configurations. Clients can use TCP/IP protocol Named Pipe or Shared Memory to connect to MySQL databases. You need to provide the necessary port details for TCP/IP while providing the Pipe Name and Memory Name for named Pipe and Shared Memory.
12. The next screen is the Authentication Mode configuration. You can either use strong password encryption with SHA256 based strong passwords or legacy authentication to be used in any version mismatched in connectors. You need to update all the connectors to their latest versions if you are going to use Strong Password Encryption, which is the recommended option.
13. Click next and you will be directed to the Accounts and Roles screen where MySQL root account password can be defined. You should disable the MySQL Root account as it is a default account.
14. You can use the “Add user” option to add users. When you click on it, it will pop up a dialogue box as below. There, you need to provide details such as username, hostname, Role of the User, type of authentication, and password. Click Next after successfully creating a user.
15. Next, you need to configure windows services. This is where you can configure the MySQL server to run as a windows service. It can be configured by providing a name and auto-start configuration when the system reboots. Furthermore, you can choose either a standard system account or add a specific user account with credentials.
16. Next, you will see the Apply Configuration screen. There is a list of confirmation steps. You can see the logs of verification in the log tab. Click on “Execute” when all the configuration settings are verified (marked green).
17. They are ticked as shown below.
18. Click on “Finish” once you see that all are verified and a success message is shown at the bottom of the dialogue box.
19. The installer will direct you to the Product Configuration screen. There, you can see that the installation of the MySQL Server 8.0.19 is configured and Sample and Example 8.0.19 are ready to be configured.
20. You can configure these settings accordingly if you are using the InnoDB cluster.
Install sample Database
Next section of the tutorial how to Install MySQL Server on Windows 10 is to install sample database. This Sample and Example screen appear since we are installing all the components of the MySQL Server. You can provide the username and password of the user who should have the admin/root privileges and click on Check to see if the connection was established successfully. If it is done correctly, you can see the message “ Connection Succeeded” marked with green. Then click next to proceed.
Below is the Apply Configuration Screen. You can start the installation of the Sample database by clicking on Execute button.
Click on “Finish” to finish the installation process when the sample database is created.
The installer will be directed again to the Product Configuration screen. Now you can see that the installation of MySQL Server 8.0.19 and Sample and Example 8.0.19 has been completed successfully.
You will see this screen when the installation is completed successfully.
Here, you can copy the logs of the installation process to review it. There are options to start MySQL workbench or shell or both after the setup. You can select them as your wish.
Connect to MySQL Server
Next part of how to Install MySQL Server on Windows 10 is to connect to the MySQL Server. MySQL Workbench is the development tool we use to query and manipulate databases. You can also use MySQL shell for this purpose.
Here you can see the list of your available MySQL connections. Even though there is only one in this image, you can add more. You can click on the instance and provide the credentials to connect to the server.
The following image shows the workbench home. This tool allows you to create, edit, query, add, drop tables and databases, export, import data and perform many more database-related activities.
How to Install MySQL Server on Windows 10 Conclusion
In this article, we have presented a step by step guide on installing MySQL server on Windows 10 and connecting to the installed server. You can do amazing work with this tool. Just give it a try and explore the new tool you installed just now!