How to Install WordPress on Windows Server Using WAMP on AWS. When it comes to creating web applications, there is no shortage of technologies available. Depending on preferences and complexity, you can choose from various options for every part of the web development process. Most of these technologies are significantly robust on their own, even with their specific pros and cons.
Given the wide variety of technologies available, the development industry is filled with particular selections intended for specific outcomes. Such choices are called technology stacks and each stack delivers an application with almost the same pros and cons. One another similarly popular web development stack is the WAMP server.
This article will dive into what the WAMP Server is and we will go to installation phase of how to install WordPress on Windows Server through WAMP on AWS platform.
WordPress on Windows Server
WordPress is a content management system that enables users to host and share their content on a dedicated platform which they design and structure. The accessibility and wide variety of design options offered by WordPress have made it extremely popular across the internet for creating a website for the first time.
Users create their websites on WordPress by configuring its workflow and functionality through the extensive library of plugins and extensions it offers. Additionally, you can choose the styling and design for your website through the collection of WordPress themes. Once configured, you can quickly deploy your WordPress website to a hosting server and make it available on the internet.
Windows Server stands as one of the most popular server operating systems in the field. Its popularity stems from its immensely relatable UI, similar to its sister desktop operating system, Windows. Additionally, Windows Server allows you to easily and extensively configure your server settings through its PowerShell environment.
What is Wamp server
WAMP (or WampServer) is a web development technology stack made up of technologies that let you quickly and intuitively set up a web application. You can manage your application’s database from within the environment after creating and connecting it. WAMP derived from LAMP which stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. LAMP is used on Linux servers, WAMP is used on Windows servers.
Leading technologies in the WAMP development stack are as follows:
- Apache2: It is an open source software intended to develop and maintain servers for hosting operating systems like Windows Server.
- PHP: It is one of the earliest scripting programming languages explicitly intended for web development and is used for file manipulation, data encryption and data modification within servers.
- MySQL: It is one of the most commonly used database technologies globally and is used extensively for all kinds of data needs.
With WAMP, users can deploy applications on servers efficiently and effectively. You can install WAMP on Windows Server, if that is your server operating system and deploy your web applications on the server, be it a physical or cloud server system. Alongside, you can test out and modify your web application as much as you want on WAMP without having to deploy to a live server.
Pros of WAMP
- Easy to Install. For example, packaged applications only need to be uploaded, unzipped and any installers need to simply run. Afterward the application is effortlessly configurable and ready to go.
- Multi Cross Platform as WAMP is available for Windows and Linux.
- It makes PHP coding and creation of databases in the Windows platform easy.
- Other good benefit is you can start and stop the whole webserver and database stack with one command.
How to Install WordPress on Windows Server Using WAMP on AWS
Why should you Install WordPress on Windows Server Using WAMP on AWS. It is user friendly configuration experience that gets your application up in no time.
Install WAMP server
- Install WAMP on the Windows Server through the official WAMP installation package. You can leave settings on default and choose your text editor.
- Once installed, you will need to monitor if WAMP is working ok.
- Please check the WAMP icon on your taskbar and ensure it’s green. If not, there may be an issue with your MySQL or Apache installation.
- We start by setting up virtual host within WAMP for your WordPress installation.
- From the WAMP homepage, select tools and then select the Add a Virtual Host option.
- The virtual host window will ask you for the name you want to give the virtual host and the complete path of this host.
- Put in your required details and restart WAMP and all of its services.
Create a Database in phpMyAdmin
- We need a database to install our WordPress application. You set one up through phpMyAdmin. Do a left click on the WAMP icon to open phpMyAdmin and put in the default username (root) and a blank password. Choose the database of your choice.
- Once inside phpMyAdmin please create the database and remember the name as it will be necessary for later.
- Please open phpMyAdmin site as shown below.
Download and Install WordPress
- Now, we will install WordPress within WAMP. Take the WordPress installation package and copy it inside the directory that you get after clicking left on the WAMP taskbar icon and selecting ‘www directory.’
Setup your WordPress Configuration
The name of the database you created through phpMyAdmin will come in handy. Here, you are going to need the following five pieces of information:
- Database Name: The one you saved earlier.
- Username: Default is root
- Password: Default is empty
- Database Host: Give it the value ‘localhost’
- Table Prefix: Give it the value ‘wp_’
Note that the ‘Table Prefix’ value is helpful in the case you configure multiple WordPress installations.
- Fill in the information fields related to your website that come after this. Afterward, click ‘Install WordPress.’
- Now you can put in your website details like the website title, your WordPress username, password and your email.
Access your New WordPress Website
- You can access your website.
In this guide of how to Install WordPress on Windows Server Using WAMP on AWS you have WordPress installed with WAMP server. You can start building your website right away from here, or if you have an existing one, you can take its wp-config.php file and extract it here to set up that application.
How to Install WordPress on Windows Server Using WAMP on AWS
WAMP is one of the most practical ways you can use to start your WordPress website. Additionally, installing WordPress on WAMP lets you test your site as much as you like without worrying about visitors as everything is accessible only to you.