How to sync Active Directory with Azure AD / Office365 with AD Connect 2016 or 2019
This guide will show the steps to setup Azure AD Connect in Azure on Windows to sync your onprem Active Directory to Azure AD / Office365.
First step is to install the Azure VM from the Azure marketplace called “Azure AD Connect Server 2016” by Cloud Infrastructure Services. Click the link below to deploy straight to your Azure tenant
Once you have the AD Connect Azure VM installed, the following links will explain how to sync your on prem Active Directory to Azure AD
- If you have a single forest AD then this is the recommended option to use.
- User sign in with the same password using password synchronization.
From the desktop click on Azure AD Connect short cut
Connect to your Azure AD using your Global admin account and follow the steps in the following MS guide
Customized Settings (Requires VM to be domain joined)
- Used when you have multiple forests. Supports many on-premises topologies.
- Customize your sign-in option, such as pass-through authentication, ADFS for federation or use a 3rd party identity provider.
- Customize synchronization features, such as filtering and writeback.
Firewall Ports to Open
If you have a hybrid environment and there is a firewall between your on prem environment and Azure. The following ports will need to be opened:
After Install / Verify
Once you have everything configured, now its time to assign licences to your users and verify that sync is working and users can login to Office365 / Azure AD
Want some help (hire us)?
If you would like us to implement the AD connect server into your environment and fully configure and sync your on prem Active Directory to Azure AD, get in contact with us and we will get you up and running asap