Remote desktop software solution tools have been in practice by IT professionals and help desk staff for years now. Many such tools with in built advanced features have been introduced by IT professionals to debug remotely and access connected computers at ease. With the increase in the use of smartphones and tablets, many corporate teams and individual users also look for tools that can help them access their home or office computers from a distance or when traveling. To resolve the issue, remote desktop tools with dozens of features were launched in the market. Currently, there are a plethora of software tools available in the market. Choosing the best out of so many options can be a daunting task. To lessen your burden, we have penned down some of the top Remote access software solutions for personal and business use.
Following is a curated list of free and paid Top Remote Access Software with enhanced features. We have further compared all the tools and shared their benefits and drawbacks. As a result, you can make a better decision for yourself and save your time, money, and energy. Zoho Assist, ManageEngine Remote Access Plus, ISL Light, GoToMyPC, RemotePC, Microsoft Remote Desktop, Anydesk, TeamViewer, Splashtop, RealVNC Connect are some of the top trending Remote Desktop Software (RDP) tools. These Remote desktop software tools will allow you to access and manage one or more computers from another device by creating a network connection. If you’re looking for affordable and best tools for improved workflow, follow our guide and take a look at our in depth features, pros, and cons of these Remote desktop software tools.
1. Zoho Assist
Zoho Assist is a cloud based remote software that provides on demand remote support sessions and is easy to set up. Establish a secure connection in minutes with Zoho Assist. Try a 15 day free trial today!
Zoho Assist Pros
- The User Access Control (UAC) security setting helps with quick and easy remote troubleshooting and training.
- It provides dual monitor support that makes it easier for the user to switch controls.
- It is one of the easy to use software that doesn’t require additional time and money for installation or maintenance.
- The Bidirectional File Sharing feature helps easy transferring of data files from one system to the other. You do not require third party software for file transfer.
- One can easily initiate or schedule remote sessions
- It is compatible with Mac, Raspberry Pi, Linux, iOS, Android, and Windows platforms.
Zoho Assist Cons
- The integration process can be tricky and complicated.
- The software requires a strong Internet connection.
- Documentation and videos can be too technical for some users.
- The AI assistant adds no extra value to the software.
2. ManageEngine Remote Access Plus
Remote Access Plus is a secure remote support solution best suitable for Enterprises. The Remote access software helps reduce troubleshooting time for remote computers like Windows, Mac, and Linux from a central location.
Remote Access Plus Pros
- It is easy to connect to remote computers from anywhere, anytime
- It helps identify and troubleshoot multiple monitors simultaneously
- It helps diagnose the actual cause without hindering productivity
- Quick issue recovery
- It provides full security and user privacy
- It provides instant technical support via voice, video, and text chat
Remote Access Plus Cons
- In a few cases, it is easy for professionals to hack the system
- There are many flaws in the OS Deployment module
3. ISL Light Remote Desktop
Access unattended remote computers and mobile devices securely with ISL Light. It is one of the easy, reliable, and simple to use remote desktop software with affordable pricing plans. The cloud based or on premise remote desktop software provides high performance and security options.
ISL Light Remote Desktop Pros
- Establishing a connection with ISL Light is quite simple
- It supports file transfer, Real time screen sharing, and automatic session recordings
- Rich customization features are present
- It is compatible with platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS
- It provides two factor authentication and AES 256 bit encryption
- Chances to connect an unattended computer via RDP are present
ISL Light Remote Desktop Cons
- It has an opaque configuration and customization interface
- Chat function needs more improvement
Splashtop is a fast and secure remote work solution designed for help desk staff, managed service providers, and IT professionals. The tool is best suitable for people working from home or on the go as it is easy to use, implement and administer, scalable, and provides high performance support solutions.
Pros of Splashtop
- Quick and easy to set up remote computer access
- It is highly beneficial for IT, help desk, and MSPs
- It provides two factor authentication and multilevel password security systems
- You can easily connect from multiple devices with Splashtop
- Users can remotely view iOS screens in real time
- It supports File transfer and remote printing
- It provides easy deployment
Cons of Splashtop
- It may get slow with a bad internet connection
- Wake Up function at times does not perform well
- The email alerts option needs more customization
The GoToMyPC software makes it easy for anyone to access important files, data, and applications from anywhere, at any time. It enables you to instantly connect with your device remotely and work from home without any hassle.
Pros of GoToMyPC
- The software is great for businesses as it helps improve productivity
- It provides high level security, including 256 bit AES encryption
- GoToMyPC is easy to install and supports file transferring, multi monitors
- Copy and paste option between connected PCs is available
- One can instantly work on files and applications from any location
Cons of GoToMyPC
- Even with high speed internet, it can be slow and laggy
- Too many popups display for additional services.
Remote PC is one of the best remote desktop software with affordable pricing plans, business oriented features, and security options. It is a trusted software that helps manage remote desktop connections securely.
- Chat options are available during the remote sessions
- Remote PC is compatible with Windows platform and macOS
- It allows users to record sessions to a video file and supports file transfers
- It provides on demand remote support solutions
- Remote PC comprises modern and easy to use interface
- It does not have an individual static public IP address which makes remote connections to servers difficult
7. Perimeter 81
Perimeter 81 is a VPN software ideal for people who frequently switch with multiple devices. It comprises an innovative hardware free cybersecurity system that helps users access the network with ease. Regardless of the work location, the tool provides a secure connection for employees to connect with devices. Also, there is no additional need for installing or getting expensive external hardware for the tool.
Pros of Perimeter 81
- Automatic Integration with cloud providers
- It requires no external hardware
- It supports unlimited bandwidth and data
- The tool provides audit reports and full customer support
- It comprises an advanced configuration feature
Cons of Perimeter 81
- It requires improvement in password management and synchronization
- Occasional Connectivity issues
8. DameWare Remote Everywhere
DameWare Remote Everywhere is a cloud based remote support solution with good features and capabilities. This Remote software system is fast, simple, lightweight, and has two versions, Dameware Remote Support for On premises solution and Dameware Remote Everywhere for Cloud based solution.
Pros of DameWare Remote Everywhere
- Active Directory Management
- The tool helps automate help desk and IT support tasks by saving your time and money
- For better performance, the tool supports an in house ticketing system and reporting engine
- It comprises advanced encryption and multi factor authentication
- It is one of the fastest and easy remote control systems that support multiple languages
- It provides on demand remote support from desktops to mobile devices
Cons of DameWare Remote Everywhere
- Some users find it hard to multi select saved hosts for mass deletion
- You may face reconnecting issues if the connection is lost
9. SolarWinds Wake on LAN Tool
SolarWinds Wake on LAN Tool is a free utility that keeps you connected to your remote devices whenever needed. It is one of the best applications that wake up powered off devices remotely via MAC addresses.
Pros of SolarWinds Wake on LAN Tool
- The application uses MAC addresses to quickly turn on devices on your network
- Save power without affecting productivity
- It allows scheduled and manual wakeup up of computers and other devices
Cons of SolarWinds Wake on LAN Tool
- Could benefit from a longer 30 day trial time
10. Remote Desktop Manager
Remote Desktop Manager helps create a secure remote connection between users and the entire team on a single platform. The tool is available for free and has an enterprise version to drive security, speed, and productivity within the organization.
Remote Desktop Manager Pros
- It has a centralized vault to store all your credentials and passwords
- It comprises granular protection access control to protect your connection from attacks and threats
- The tool supports easy sharing options and user administration
- It helps you perform an audit and create custom reports as per the need
- The tool manages your remote connection via a single platform
Remote Desktop Manager Cons
11. Microsoft Remote Desktop
Microsoft Remote Desktop helps you remotely connect with devices made available by your admin. The software is customized only for Windows users. It comprises a wide array of features suitable for both personal and business users.
Microsoft Remote Desktop Pros
- It provides a secure connection between devices through a remote desktop gateway
- It is compatible with Windows 8, Windows 10 or higher, and Xbox One
- A user can install the tool on up to ten devices
- It is easy to view and take a snapshot of the screen with Microsoft Remote Desktop
Microsoft Remote Desktop Cons
- As the session begins in Microsoft Remote Desktop, the system locks the remote screen
Mikogo is a free screen sharing software ideal for individuals or groups to perform web conferences, facilitate online meetings, online sales demos, and more. It allows users to view, share a screen and transfer the access to another connected group. There are three versions available in the market for Mikogo Standard, Professional, and Team.
Pros of Mikogo
- There is no cost for Mikogo’s free account
- Any user can share their screen up to 25 meeting participants in real time
- It allows users to view and collaborate similar information in real time
- It provides multi monitor support solutions
- You can disable specific features as per the need
Cons of Mikogo
- You can set meetings in advance with the help of a scheduling tool. But, scheduling in Mikogo can be a tedious task
- It is not compatible with all customer sites
- It has a simple interface but at times gets difficult to go online with customers
LogMeIn is a trusted cloud based remote work tool for businesses that want to connect, collaborate and secure their workforces across the globe. Founded in 2003, it has become an ideal choice for businesses in search of power remote work and support employees and customers.
Pros of LogMeIn
- The tool supports remote printing solutions
- It provides remote access to retrieve and transfer files from multiple devices
- It supports file storage options
- Open screen sharing options are available to openly collaborate
- It provides single click options to store, share and collaborate files
Cons of LogMeIn
- User Interface needs more improvement
- Not sufficient Tech Support reporting and features
14. Remote Utilities
Remote Utility is a free open source remote access program compatible with Windows operating systems. The tool does not require port forwarding changes to the router and can be used for unattended remote access. The free tool is suitable for both personal and business use.
Pros of Remote Utilities
- It is a free tool for only up to 10 computers for both business and private users
- The tool supports remote printing, text chat, Wake on LAN, and file transfers
- The tool works best for restricted or isolated environments
- Regular backup for the address book of remote connections is available
- You do not have to install software to launch the Viewer and Host apps from a USB drive
Cons of Remote Utilities
- It can be hard to configure the host software for some users
UltraVNC is a powerful remote pc access software that uses the VNC protocol to create a secure connection. You can use your mouse and keyboard to control the remote computer, transfer files, configure access with keys and passwords from anywhere.
- It allows creating a secure network connection to a remote computer from a computer program, browser, or mobile app
- UltraVNC, the remote pc access software is only compatible with Windows platforms
- The software supports File transfer and text chat options
- The software supports a dual installation feature
- The user can configure access with keys and passwords from any location. Also, you have the authority to send custom keyboard commands
- The software does not support Remote printing
- There is no Wake on LAN (WOL) option available in UltraVNC
- It is essential to have Router port forwarding on the server
16. Chrome Remote Desktop
Chrome Remote Desktop is a free remote desktop program that runs as Google’s extensions. It is easy to use, robust, quick, and one of the most popular remote desktop tools best suited for personal than business use.
Chrome Remote Desktop Pros
- It is a free extension tool that supports multiple monitors
- The extension supports unattended and on demand remote access
- Chrome Remote Desktop is quick to set up
- It does not require the user to login in remote into the computer
Chrome Remote Desktop Cons
- Built in text chat is not available to avoid any miscommunication
- It is a must to have a chrome browser to make this work
- The drag and drop file transfer feature are not present
- Chrome Remote Desktop does not support multi monitors
- The tool finds it hard to handle multi session simultaneously
Launched in 2014, AnyDesk is another remote desktop software that can be run in Cloud or On Premises. It is a highly flexible and secure remote desktop connections ideal for transferring files faster.
Pros of AnyDesk
- It navigates faster due to the low latency rate
- The software has a responsive interface and enhances the productivity of its users
- The software supports multiple languages
- There is no session limit or pop up timers with Anydesk
- It is compatible with various platforms, including Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, macOS, iOS, and Android
- It allows users to access remote computer systems from personal computers and mobile devices
Cons of AnyDesk
- It is compulsory to install to access system files
- Fluctuations are visible in the remote desktop’s resolution
- Instances of Copy/paste issues are possible. However, the bug is reportedly fixed by the developers
TeamViewer is a cloud based platform that helps connect multiple devices, servers, and workstations remotely, anytime. It delivers world class services, offers high performance connections, easy desktop sharing, and file transfer solutions.
- TeamViewer software is free for non commercial purposes
- It supports desktop sharing and file transfer options
- There is no requirement for router configurations
- It provides the highest security standards and customer support
- It supports the Wake on LAN feature
- Users can take snapshots of the remote screen with TeamViewer
- You can drag and drop files from one device to another at ease
- Do not support proxy servers
- It is costly for commercial users
- It requires a fast continuous internet connection for smooth functioning and file transfer
- Do not support full screen with high resolution screens in TeamViewer
19. ConnectWise Control
ConnectWise Control, One of fast, flexible, and secure cloud based remote control software that offers a custom pricing approach to help build a package as per your requirement. Connectwise Control enables users to remotely view and control computers, servers, and workstations across the globe.
Pros of ConnectWise Control
- The software tool provides world class security features, including AES 256 encryption and two factor authentication
- The tool is highly compatible with Windows platforms, macOS, ChromeOS, and Linux/Unix operating systems, and other browsers
- It is simple to configure and customize as per your need
- It provides instant connection and reliable remote endpoints
- It provides high touch support services
- It is a powerful and easy to implement tool
Cons of ConnectWise Control
- To chat with the end user, the technician needs to find and click a box at the top of the interface. It would be better if the options were available at the bottom
- Scalability issues are found when dealing with more than two monitors in a remote session
20. RealVNC Connect
Pros of RealVNC Connect
- It is better to share, support, collaborate, train the team members with RealVNC Connect
- It provides an on demand helpdesk service
- It is one of the best fully encrypted remote desktop software
- It is one of the responsive and High speed streaming software with superior audio and image functionality
- Quick and compatible with Windows, macOS, Raspberry Pi, and Linux computers
- It supports Responsive screen sharing solutions for users
Cons of RealVNC Connect
- File transfer is complicated with RealVNC Connect
- The drag and drop transfer feature are not available
- It requires a server version to be installed on the remote device
Best Remote Access Software Solutions Conclusion
Remote Desktop tools are highly beneficial for IT professionals and help desk staff. These tools allow access, debug and manipulation of systems remotely from any location, at any time. It has become much easier for users to transfer files, share screen, audio, video, and perform maintenance with the remote PC, servers, and workstation. In this post, we have listed some of the top Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) tools that you can connect to the Windows system for sharing files and other crucial data by establishing a remote connection. Zoho Assist, ManageEngine Remote Access Plus, ISL Light, GoToMyPC, RemotePC, Anydesk, TeamViewer, Splashtop, Remote Utilities, Perimeter 81, DameWare Remote Everywhere, SolarWinds Wake on LAN Tool are some of the popular Remote Desktop Software practiced by many small medium sized businesses and large corporations. Choose one as per your need and budget from the above listed software tools.