Top 20 Best Gitlab Alternatives DevOps Tools (Self Hosted + Cloud)
Best Gitlab Alternatives DevOps Tools (Self Hosted + Cloud). GitLab is one of the popular open source code repositories used by many developers and teams. It comprises excellent features, such as code storage, issue tracking, and more, that make it a top choice. They also include built in Continuous Integration and Delivery features. Overall, it is great software but not perfect for everyone. Even with the free subscription, users can access only 400 CI/CD minutes on a monthly basis. Thus, we have shortlisted a few alternate solutions that can cover up the issues and help deliver fast and similar results.
In this post, we will show you the list of best Gitlab alternatives DevOps tools with features of each tools.
List of Best GitLab Alternatives
GitHub is one of the popular programming resources that most DevOps choose for code sharing. Most companies also prefer the tool for collaboration and project management. It is a free tool with a user friendly interface. The popular tool uses Git, an open source version control software for tracking and managing a project’s code. If you are looking for a GitLab alternatives then GitHub is the best choice. GitHub allows multiple developers to work on a single project simultaneously. Thus, you can reduce conflicting work and production time. The popular tool allows users to build code, track, and create new solutions for the problems at the same time. Also, it comprises a wide range of useful features.
- Allows DevOps to host code snippets
- Allows management of repositories via a web interface
- Supports extra commands
- Render files into a tabular data format
- Supports Collaborative Coding
- Alerts System
- Automate issue labeling, CI/CD, etc.
- Automatically reviews changes and secures the written code
- Restrict access to enterprise assets to a few IPs
- Maintains audit log data for security purposes.
- Supports unlimited public and private repositories
Introduced in 2010, RhodeCode is one of the free, open source, secure, and efficient source code management platforms with various useful features. One can easily build and deliver projects on time using the workflow automation features. RhodeCode also allows administrators to revoke permissions and restrict a few IP addresses. Get access to a high level of code security and alert system for suspicious activities. Being open source, users also have the right to create isolated environments for codes.
- Allows faster coding and reduces bugs
- Provides full source code protection.
- Alert system for suspicious activities.
- Provides analysis tools for compliance requirements.
- Supports SAML, OAuth, LDAP, etc.
- Conducts Audit.
- Restricts IP addresses
- Easy to Install and upgrade RhodeCode
- Much easier to integrate with 3rd party tools.
- Supports Automation Scheduler functionalities.
- Graphlog and changelog features help track a project’s progress
- Supports large binary files.
Launched in 2008, Bitbucket is a Git source code repository hosting service used in the Pull request, integration of Jira, workflow, and access control. Written in Python, the tool also helps in collaborations with software development teams. The repository management service comprises various features, such as merge checks, issue tracking, import of existing repositories from different code hosting services, etc. Another feature that makes the tool perform fast and efficiently is the integration of CI/CD tools. Also, it is much cheaper than GitLab.
- Unlimited private repository in free version.
- Access to view history.
- Allows developers to limit branch access.
- Supports Large File Storage functionality.
- Supports continuous collaboration and merges.
- Granular access control.
- The alternate solution also supports automatic building, testing, and deploying of the code.
- Supports Jira integration
- Supports dual step verification process.
- IP whitelisting
- Issue Tracking
- Easy status transfer to servers
- Supports operating systems like Mac, Windows, and Android
Launched in 2016, Gitea is a Cloud based source code management service provider. This GitLab alternatives tool has an MIT OSS license and is compatible with all operating systems, like macOS, Linux, Windows, etc. Written in Go, it is easy to install and one of the lightweight alternative solutions for GitLab. Also, it consumes fewer resources. Overall, the popular alternative solution comprises various features that make it unique. It includes bug tracking, pull requests, LDAP, and more. It also supports webhooks and multiple code maintainers.
- Supports Multiple Operating Systems.
- Gitea has an easy upgrade process.
- Supports CSV.
- Issue Tracking Features
- Supports LDAP.
- Free, Open source and Resource Saving tool.
- Gitea is easy to install and a lightweight tool.
- Fix bugs faster.
- Constantly updates new features.
SourceForge is a web service that helps open source projects to achieve success and research business software. It is a leading service that enables administrators to control and manage these projects from a centralized online location. The web service includes mirroring of downloads for load balancing, issue tracking, user mailing lists, blogs for project updates, source code repository hosting, and more features. Also, it is one of the first tools to provide a free web service to open source projects. The alternate solution to GitLab also supports community and forum discussion for the platform, free hosting, and tools access for DevOps.
- Supports Unlimited bandwidth.
- Enables users to track statistics based on time, platform and region.
- Allows detecting platforms automatically.
- Provides Open Source Directory to view projects, browse, and find software.
- Provides discussion forums for interaction.
- Issue Tracking.
- Provides blogs for project updates.
- Allows organizing tickets with labels and custom fields.
- Supports markdown.
- Allows importing repositories to new or existing SourceForge projects.
Gogs is a self hosted Git service that is fast and easy to install on any device. This GitLab alternatives solution is built on Go under the MIT license and can run on all operating systems. Also, it is free, open source software that supports a memory requirement of 512MB. If you are looking for a self hosted service, go for Gogs. Run a binary file or ship it in Docker, and you are set to go. It supports pull and merge requests, Wiki documentation, bug tracking, and more features.
- Gogs is fast, easy to install, lightweight and stable Git Service.
- Supports less memory and CPU power usage.
- Supports Issue Tracking.
- Like Gitea, it also supports multiple operating systems.
- Easy to run on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi as it involves minimal requirements.
- No Google Analytics.
- The interface is similar to the GitHub.
- SSH identities and 2FA
- Gogs is written in Go.
- Software or non software files hosting.
- It has the capability to manage permissions and SSH keys.
7. Azure DevOps
Azure DevOps, earlier referred to as Visual Studio, is a great alternative for GitLab. It is available to DevOps in two versions, Azure DevOps Server and Azure DevOps Services. As a server, the popular software management solution is available on premise and allows users to save their code and information on the network. However, the other version acts as a hosted service for repositories. Both versions of Azure DevOps provide useful features, such as unlimited free repositories, efficient code reviews, support for CI/CD tools for all platforms, etc.
Azure DevOps Features
- Azure DevOps is one of the most reliable and scalable alternatives to GitLab and available globally.
- SLA Support.
- Uses agile tools to deliver values faster.
- Pull requests.
- Supports advanced file management.
- Supports on premise data and code storing.
- Easy to perform CI/CD for any platform.
- Code reviews.
- Access to unlimited free repositories.
8. Eylean Board
Eylean Board is a project task and team management board solution that can be fully customized to fit all business sizes and industry requirements. Its excellent features allow DevOps to easily manage projects across all stages (initial concept to delivery), track their progress, create reports and more. The software solution allows DevOps to choose from predefined Scrum, Kanban or TFS templates and customize boards. It also supports time tracking, status tracking, drag & drop functionalities, etc.
Eylean Board Features
- Provides customizable templates.
- File Sharing support.
- Status and Time Tracking functions.
- Helps to improve organizational transparency.
- Creates visual board using Scrum, Agile, TFS templates.
- Provides simple real time collaboration.
- Tracks project progress and make proper use of workflow reports.
- Access to instant analytical data.
- Supports drag and drop functionality.
- Provides roadmap of project milestones.
- Works great with Windows operating system.
Buddy.works is another GitLab alternatives that helps build apps faster. It is a self hosted continuous integration and delivery software that performs multi dimensional functions. It allows developers to build, deploy (by creating pipelines), and test applications using code from hosting tools. Buddy.works are one of the best software with a GUI interface. Thus, making it easy for developers to create static sites and access RPM tools.
- Easy to configure through GUI & YAML.
- Supports Docker containers
- Deploys for GitHub, GitLab, and more
- Unlimited Delivery Pipelines
- Access Controls and Permissions
- Deployment Management
- Supports SSL Checker
- Supports 100+ built in actions
- Buddy has a simple and intuitive user interface
Launched in 2004, Launchpad is a website that aids in developing and maintaining open source software. It has a GNU Affero General Public License and is easy to download. Also, the Open Source Hosting tool comes installed in a few hardware.
However, the software has not gained much popularity as it is limited to only Ubuntu targeted projects. Still, it has great support from GIT and allows the developer to import repositories. One can create their own development team or join an existing one using this platform. Furthermore, Launchpad has a good community support system for user queries.
- Bug tracking.
- Efficient code reviews.
- Supports mailing lists.
- Integrated build and deployment system.
- Supports easy translation.
- Supports Specification tracking.
- Supports only Ubuntu targeted projects.
- Provides community support.
- Provides Cross project collaboration.
- Allows to send patches.
- Centralized Web Service.
- Hosts Linux distributions.
Deveo is code management and collaboration platform that can be available on premises or used from the Cloud. It makes sure that the codes are always kept private and securely maintained, even if served to multiple customers. Deveo also supports Git, Subversion, and Mercurial. Also, it comprises various features such as bug tracking, code review, etc., that make it a great GitLab alternatives solution.
- Provide Free Cloud instance.
- Unlimited private repositories.
- Hosts Wiki documentation in one place.
- Better issue tracking features.
- High scalability and availability.
- Supports WebDAV repository.
- Subversion and Mercurial support.
- Supports LDAP, Single Sign On service, and more
- Repositories are grouped as per the project
- Supports HTTPS and SSH protocols
Gerrit is a web based code review tool and self hosted repository manager that helps simplify Git based projects. It is slightly difficult to customize but supports various plugins for web UI extension. Also, it permits only authorized users to push code to the master branch.
- Free and open source version control system.
- Easy to detect errors in the source code.
- Not required to install any Gerrit client if you have a regular one.
- Google Web Toolkit is responsible for forming its user interface.
- It has a lightweight framework.
- Access control and permission.
- No additional command line tools are needed to push the code.
- Supports integration with LDAP, CI, and other tools.
- Configurable project workflow.
- Various plugins are supported for Web UI extension.
Another best Gitlab Alternatives DevOps Tools is sourcehut. This software is a popular, lightweight and open source solution suitable for project maintainers and collaborators. The software comprises features such as two factor authentication (2FA), searchable mail archives, bug trackers, patch review tools and more features that aids in delivering good performance. They also provide excellent support services. The automated build service feature and more make it a great alternative solution for developers.
- No need to push the repository to submit ad hoc jobs.
- Provides good performance.
- It has an excellent and useful support system.
- Great to use and it is a lightweight software.
- Provides automated build service.
- Granular access control.
- Mercurial support is available.
- Supports Patch review tools.
- Bug Tracking.
- Supports two factor authentication (2FA).
- It has a Codeless user interface.
- The tool is designed for production.
- Supports Web UI, CLI, and API.
- Developed in C.
- It can manage thousands of servers.
- It is open source and free to download software.
- Compatible with Windows, Linux and other operating systems, except HP UX and iOS.
- It comprises a built in template library.
- It provides a convenient work breakdown mechanism.
- Supports widget to measure process efficiency.
- Runtime policies.
- Flow analytics support.
- The Kanban software is compatible with platforms like Web, Android, and IOS.
SaltStack is a Python based open source software with robust configuration compliance and management features. Developers prefer the configuration management tool for provisioning new servers and other IT infrastructure. The tool allows fast execution of commands and is thus a great choice for developers.
- It has an active community for user queries with live chat options.
- Running agentless via SSH.
- SaltStack is highly scalable.
- Supports Fast execution of commands.
- Written in Python.
- SaltStack supports platforms, such as Windows, Linux, Mac.
- It is easy to use and communicates with the help of SSH or agents.
- Configuration files are organized in YAML files which makes it easy for users to read.
Chisel is a free and open source version control system that supports public and private repositories costs. There are no limitations to the number of collaborators. Also, they have a Wiki and a bug tracker. You can also customize the repositories.
- Hosts public and private repositories.
- Supports multiple collaborators.
- Chisel is free and open source software but does not support Git or Mercurial.
- Customizable project repository.
- Bug tracking.
18. Gitkraken Glo Boards
Another top 20 Best Gitlab Alternatives DevOps Tools is GitKraken Glo Boards is a good solution for developers and teams looking for an issue tracking system. GitKraken tries to make new improvements, introduce updates and enhance functionality regularly for better results. It has also ensured that only organizational users can access the board for security purposes.
- Creates and manages milestones.
- Pull Requests.
- Enhanced security options.
- Issue Tracking.
- Supports Automation Integration.
- It has a built in dark theme.
- Syncs in real time with GitHub Issues.
- Markdown Support.
19. Newfang Cloud
Newfang is a decentralized cloud storage platform that helps provide data ownership and privacy to app users. Powered by Blockchain, it is an encrypted, fast, and easy to use software solution. Features the reduce costs, control the faster video streaming & hosting options and more benefits. The self hosted platform is compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Supports video streaming & hosting.
- Newfang Cloud is encrypted, fast, and easy to integrate.
- The self hosted solution is compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Newfang is free and open source software that provides end to end encryption.
The last on th list of the top 20 Best Gitlab Alternatives DevOps Tools is Quire is an all in one task management software that comprises various features making it a top choice for most DevOps. The tool helps users break down complex tasks into small groups and prioritizes them in a personalized manner. It is a free project management software designed especially for small and medium sized companies. The purpose was to help these companies build and manage tasks properly. The popular tool comprises various features, such as team collaboration, file sharing, tracking a project’s progress, management of documents, and more.
Users have to no longer follow the conventional task segregation approach for tacking and managing tasks. There is no restriction to the number of tasks and subtasks in Quire. Also, it involves an easy exchange of files through Google integration. It is one of the easy to use and customizable software designs that supports flexible workflow for different teams.
Furthermore, the sleek interface helps in decluttering projects’ complexities. Another advantage of using Quire is anyone can use it from any location.
- Free Version is available for Quire.
- Administrators can track the progress of tasks or projects.
- Supports flexible permission control.
- Allows you to have multiple assignees for a task.
- Supports a transparent work environment.
- No limitation for the numbers of tasks and subtasks.
- Supports team collaboration.
- Permissions and roles feature.
- Elegant User Interface and easy to customize.
Top 20 Best Gitlab Alternatives DevOps Tools - Conclusion
Follow the above list to check out some of the best self hosted and cloud based GitLab alternatives solutions. GitLab is one of the best code repositories used across the globe by developers and teams. Its excellent features help developers deliver faster results and provide efficient workflow. Yet, for some customers who are looking for an alternative options with limited customizations for issue tracking and more, check those options out in the blog. There are top open source programming resources and code repositories that support CI/CD tools plus other options. Have a look at some of the software and its key features before making a final decision.